Silent Scaffold
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Christianity good?

+7
Lethe5683
DarkMagickan
Darkel
EropsToad
Punk Rock
SissyGamer
Mr.H
11 posters

Go down

Is Christianity good? Empty Is Christianity good?

Post by Mr.H Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:21 pm

Christianity. A religion that harbors hate for the rest of the world. A religion that allows anyone to join their ranks. Is Christianity good or bad?

Discuss.
Mr.H
Mr.H
Heron King

Back to top Go down

Is Christianity good? Empty Re: Is Christianity good?

Post by SissyGamer Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:36 pm

honestly its neutral to me. like there are tons of good christians that understand opinions if others don't believe in god or believe in a different religion and what-not. me myself am not a christian but i've met many people that were very nice and are christians.. the others.. not so nice, most other christians end up arguing when someone states their opinion that they don't believe in god. i find those christians to be bad, the good ones are nice as long as you accept their opinion and not be a whiny bitch about it.
SissyGamer
SissyGamer
Catsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Punk Rock Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:53 pm

Follow core teachings: don't be a fucking ass.

The religion? Okay.

The community? Actual cancer.
Punk Rock
Punk Rock
Not Dead

Back to top Go down

Post by EropsToad Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:12 pm

Christianity, as a whole, in terms of its teachings, is very good.

Christians, on the other hand, depend on the person.

I know many good Christian people who are kind, compassionate, faithful to God, and therefore live better lifestyles because of their beliefs.

And then there's folks like Donald Trump.

So it all depends on many things; whether a Christian faithfully follows the tenets of Christianity, whether or not a Christian uses their faith to justify cruelty towards other people (they shouldn't, and most don't, but the ones that do are a problem).
EropsToad
EropsToad
The Legendary Fartmaster
The Legendary Fartmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkel Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:30 pm

I feel like this thread is a flame war waiting to happen. But to answer your question, Christianity itself is a very good religion. It teaches peace and kindness and helps people to overcome addictions, bad mindsets, obstacles in their lives, and so much more. As a Christian I believe that the teachings of Christianity are some of the wisest and most beautiful lessons in all of human history.

But your religion does not determine who you are as a person. Very bad people can still be Christians, because they're not living up to the teachings of the Bible. Good Christians who live according to what the Bible says will practice being kind to people, even those they do not agree with, but at the same time will retain their opposition to their views. In actuality I know very few Christians who make themselves out to be the stereotypes, I think TV and liberal Hollywood, and really any liberal media tend to dramatize it to make us out as complete monsters. This is why I hardly watch anything that journalists broadcast. As I said, religion doesn't determine you as a person unless you align your personality to its teachings and put it into your character. Just the same as there are radical Islamists/Jihadists and the every day Muslim.
Darkel
Darkel
The Murderator

https://silentscaffold.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkMagickan Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:19 pm

My problem with Christianity is not the intentions its founders had.

My problem is with a lot of the stuff in the Bible, mostly Old Testament shit that has no place in modern society. (Also, I think Paul was a dick and possibly a fraud, but that's neither here nor there.)

I've read the Bible clear through, three times. I've even read the so-called Apocrypha. I was a devout Christian at the time. The thing that gave me pause was when I began to research the source of several of the books in the Bible. That is where it began to fall apart for me personally. Putting people to death for working on a Saturday? Shunning people for shaving their beards? Cutting off a woman's hand for grabbing her husband's junk to protect him?

What. The. Hell?

And before you say that doesn't apply, let us not forget Matthew 5:17-19:
"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
And before you say that everything has been fulfilled, remember that he hasn't come back with skin of bronze, hair of white, and a super-awesome backlight from nowhere. As such, the law is still there, according to the words from Jesus' own mouth.

As to Darkel's concern about this turning into a flame war, I am going to suggest that we make a few rules. I suspect we can all agree with these:
1. No ad hominem attacks (personal insults, etc.)
2. No straw man attacks (see link for definition and examples)
3. If you are personally insulted by other people's viewpoints, step away from the computer and take a nice walk in the fresh air.
DarkMagickan
DarkMagickan
High Priest

Back to top Go down

Post by Lethe5683 Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:36 am

I'm no expert on Christianity but from what I do know I would say that most of the basic premises are good but a lot of people who consider themselves Christians (emphasis on consider themselves) are bad.

Well that was a weird first post, oh well.

Lethe5683
Placenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerbie The Slug Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:14 am

I've never learned religon....
All I had was just a kiddy Bible....
Up until now, I didn't know that veggieTales was actually a religous show...
All I know about it is to pray before sleeping...And a giant man with his son....Jesus Crust!
Zerbie The Slug
Zerbie The Slug
Egotistical Slug

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/uglydollfan

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkMagickan Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:05 am

Here;s my take on how Christianity was formed.

There was a rabbi, Yehoshua, who saw that the Jewish faith was getting petty, ritualistic, and downright messed up.  So he tried to reform it, and got sold out to the Roman government for his trouble.   Then, at some point as the Roman Empire was starting to collapse, he was embraced as an avatar.  His words, actions, etc., were exaggerated, taken out of context, or what have you.  Other myths of dying gods were added in.  Why?  Because the only way to revive the dying Roman empire was with a new religion.

Just a thought, though...
DarkMagickan
DarkMagickan
High Priest

Back to top Go down

Post by Runlock Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:10 am

My favorite story is where the kids are making fun of Elijah so he sicks a couple of bears on them.
Runlock
Runlock
Confederate of the League

Location : Under the rocks where I found my place in the ground.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptnSunny Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:37 am

DarkMagickan wrote:My problem with Christianity is not the intentions its founders had.

My problem is with a lot of the stuff in the Bible, mostly Old Testament shit that has no place in modern society.  (Also, I think Paul was a dick and possibly a fraud, but that's neither here nor there.)

I've read the Bible clear through, three times.  I've even read the so-called Apocrypha.  I was a devout Christian at the time.  The thing that gave me pause was when I began to research the source of several of the books in the Bible.  That is where it began to fall apart for me personally.  Putting people to death for working on a Saturday?  Shunning people for shaving their beards?  Cutting off a woman's hand for grabbing her husband's junk to protect him?

What.  The.  Hell?

And before you say that doesn't apply, let us not forget Matthew 5:17-19:
"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
And before you say that everything has been fulfilled, remember that he hasn't come back with skin of bronze, hair of white, and a super-awesome backlight from nowhere.  As such, the law is still there, according to the words from Jesus' own mouth.
Finally, an excuse for people to stop working on a Saturday Razz

But in all seriousness, as a Catholic and Filipino myself, we tend to be ironic of themselves; most of our schools have a haircut policy and most of our churches have women as commentators and such in them. You should note that these are the ramblings of prophets from thousands of years ago, and as such Values Dissonance is to be expected.
CaptnSunny
CaptnSunny
Anti-Liatrednu Protestor

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkMagickan Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Which is my primary reason for arguing that Christianity in general is outmoded. This is not to say that values such as "love thy neighbor" and "do unto others" are bad things, but they can be found in other religions as well. Religions that can't be abused by hate groups like the Westboro Baptist Church to promote their own twisted agenda. (Incidentally, Pastor Fred Phelps is said to have come out of the closet on his deathbed, which surprised me not in the least.)
DarkMagickan
DarkMagickan
High Priest

Back to top Go down

Post by Celo the Impossible Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:21 pm

I agree with EropsToad's statement- Christianity has some pretty good teachings (the Golden Rule, for example) but then the person claiming they are Christian is what it all depends on, as anyone can say they're Christian. There are people like Trump who claim to be Christian, and there are churches like Westboro who claim to be Baptist. A mouse might be in the cookie jar, but that doesn't make it a cookie. Someone can claim to be something, but that doesn't mean you should base the entirety of a religion on some of the people who claim it. One of the things Christianity teaches is that your faith is shown through your actions.

James 2:17- In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

As for the Old Testament's teachings, while they still hold importance to Christians, are not all completely relevant, as Jesus stated in Matthew 22:34-30
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

This was His way of summarizing the most relevant passages, and he is speaking to the Pharisees during this time. (This is where I just start rambling, so what follows has information that probably isn't that useful to the thread, honestly). The Pharisees were notorious for their knowledge of the Law, but they were notorious for making laws about laws. You could say it was as though they had no knowledge on the spirit of the law. For example, the idea of resting on the Sabbath day. This law was made in the Old Testament as a way to tell people to take time and relax; enjoy life. The Pharisees took this law above and beyond, however, and made tons of laws about it. I remember reading how one group actually had a law about how far you had to be from the city before you could use the restroom, since they made a rule of not being allowed to use the restroom in the city on the sabbath, since they made a law of it being "unclean". (And you shall make them a "place for a hand" outside the city, to which they shall go out, to the northwest of the city—roofed houses with pits within them into which the excrement will descend, (so that) it will (not) be visible at any distance from the city, three thousand cubits. [11QT XLVI, 13-16])

Okay, now I'm just rambling on about odd facts I found interesting so maybe I should stop now. Sorry ;v;
Celo the Impossible
Celo the Impossible
Mistreated Orphan

http://celotheimpossible.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down